Thursday, May 7, 2009

More of same

I have given a fair amount of thought to the social conventions to which I find myself subject. Primarily that love and trust are such unsafe actions that we are forced to invest our emotions/vocabulary in words like "moved" and "inspiration", when what we really mean are things like "I like what I see and I would like to look at the pieces you are made of".

I realise from my own experiences of being burnt that it is necessary to guard ourselves in this coded language, but it makes me feel so cheated of the time I spend tempering the headlong rush into discovering whether I like someone/thing or not, or puzzling how to feed my curiousities without misleading anyone into thinking I care more than I do, because even more distressing than this preoccupation with self-preservation is an underlying dedication to the ego that disgusts me into becoming a recluse.

Humility has gone the way of the dinosaurs people; we have fallen to such a preoccupation with self that we think any action directed towards us has no room for motivation that has nothing to do with us. I enjoy interactions with people , but really I don't give much of a rats ass about YOU specifically (in a forest for the trees sort of way), so if you're going to sour the whole thing by blowing my attentions out of proportion I'd rather not bother.

Without putting too much thought into the possible ironies of this post, I suppose my pique may be an example of a raging ego. Unfortunately for us both, at the end of the day, we will find that everything we've done was purposeful, but we spent too much of our time on lessons that should have been easily learned - and for me perhaps that means I should be more forgiving of people who have an overblown sense of importance, but it's difficult, because battling people's ego when I could already have moved on to the next thing leaves a most sour taste in my mouth.

Disclaimer: this post is not directed at any one/incident in particular.
actually, come to think of it, the post is directed at all the casual acquaintances who piss me the hell of by thinking they're that important.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post - the ways of following the 'golden rule' is more locked in extracting the gold out of it... I used to try and keep the rule sacred, but it quickly turned to secret after being ridiculed for being generous...

    Since then, I always hold caution in meeting strangers - i need to figure out what truly motivates them before extending an olive branch... society pissed me off sometimes too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose that the way it has to be. Most of us are inclined to be generous with our time and attention, but the minority who take advantage of that has us all on guard. But i'd rather not bother is what i'm really saying, than be on guard. This caution takes the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how true!

    but sometimes we find ourselves on either side.. doesnt it depend on who we are up against?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes. absolutely. after all everything's so damn relative.

    ReplyDelete