Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's all relative.. but is it all right?

I was standing at the kitchen sink when I wondered if choosing to conceal one of the most me things about me means I think it’s bad… seems I have a lot of epiphanies at the kitchen sink… but that’s besides the point. I don’t think it’s bad. I’m a scholar of “it’s all relative and there is no wrong or right/black and white; it just IS”. But if it’s all relative means it’s not wrong, does that mean it’s right?

I bulletin-ed short bursts of my personality and moods, and occasionally longer posts a few times a day when myspace was my forum. I am disappointed to admit that now that I've gone public, I publish only longer posts because I'm trying to ermm.... conceal that I flit from one lightning burst of feeling/thought to another.

Don't get twisted, I am completely delighted every day by this feature of me, and my friends yo-yo across the spectrum of annoyed:amused depending on the time of day/social situation - I’d like to think mostly amused since they’re still my friends. My reservation about letting that leak into my blog’s personality is the inevitability of the judgements that will be made about me based on my posts; and since I have to choose I would prefer to showcase the more thoughtful side of me than the completely random... plus those amusing/insightful/dramatic/insert more things off the spectrum of adjectives bulletins are mostly pics grabbed from google or random thoughts, and seriously I'd like people to know there's more to me than pirated images and one liners...although I’ve seen blogs of that kind that are deeelightful.

The truth though is, try as you might, and as successfully as you think you're sneaking along you can never really hide who you are. And why would you want to? I've never been a proponent of sameness, and I know it takes all kinds of things to make up a personality… and in turn those bold enough to be firmly who they are mix up things a little bit.

However, let’s all understand that self esteem is of the highest importance to the quality of our survival among our peers. If you’re not one of the (1)“cool” kids, you either need to go someplace where your brand of weird is considered cool; fashion some sort of psychological tourniquet, or watch your bright prospects slink away in response to the inevitable ridicule or at best indifference of the general populace. Against that, I wondered if the argument of relativity was a shield to protect the timid egos of the less cool among us from our different-ness.

(2)Oh, I’m fine with me.. think I’m just perfect the way I am. All my beatific traits plus my annoying habits… OCD tendencies.. knowitallness are an adventure that I look forward to and revel in everyday. But what about the people who have horrendous personalities that wreak absolute havoc on others - I don’t think any examples are required- is it really fair for them to say they cannot be judged as bad, or for me to hide behind the argument of relativity and deny them same?

This could go on to be the argument of relativity that never ends, but the answer is pretty simple, or I guess hugely complicated relative to your process: It really is all relative; it’s also black and white; Or right; Or wrong; it depends on your perspective, since you arrive at your judgement relative to your starting point. So in a quick recap: it really is all relative, and the big question really is… to WHAT?

And since I have you here, would it really be reasonable for us to all dip from a pre-established “good pool” of personality traits, or is it really ok to chalk it up to we can’t all be the same? I think we are all here taking a crack at life in our imperfectness, and whatever your conclusion there has to be room for everyone.

  1. and isn’t cool soo relative?
  2. this is based on MY perspective… my peeps might say different.
  3. bonk the whole thing.. it’s all relative! Otherwise there wouldn’t arguments.. or wars.. or probably anything fun either.
  4. This post will morph over time, because if I didn’t post as the above jumble… you would have been denied that peek of my inner workings.

No comments:

Post a Comment