Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My relationship with the word no, and the neverending search for balance

I'm working on my relationship with the word "no". The universe is vast beyond most of our comprehension and I think we hide from it by getting lost in the daily bullshit. None of this is really as necessary as we think; maybe my theories are escapism, but I think all this job and house and money and just material bullshit prevents us from seeing the big picture (life as a true experience). Which is not to say they don't have their place - jobs and careers serve the function of rabbitholes, and help us to discover ourselves - and pay our bills - and if you got that down, then you cool.

Now.. back to no. I realise that the universe is a huge melting pot, if you will, of opportunities or rabbitholes. Whatever. For me, the point of life is experience. never say never, and never say no, but ironically I find I say no a lot. Sometimes I think if I don't say no, I'll be absorbed by the possibilities - literally disappear down a rabbithole - which might not be a bad thing. but I have other things on my agenda that I gotta stay grounded for.

So in the end, no for me, is about balance, because I'm that girl who's always gungho, always ready to make the flex and try something new, so a liberal sprinkling of the word no keeps me balanced, and reminds me that while life's experiences are ripe for the picking, no means standing for something, and if you don't, you're liable to fall for anything. Remembr that little gem?

No comments:

Post a Comment