Friday, February 13, 2009

the unfortunate fruit juice rant

I had an epiphany recently. Get comfortable.. is a long and convoluted story - y'know how I do.
So i'm cleaning up the kitchen and I decide I'm thirsty (tussty as we say in Ja), so I mentally run through the list of things in the fridge but none appeal to me. So i'm thinking to myself, I guess I'll drink water like I always do.
But why do I always drink water?

Follow my thought process now... So i'm thinking, must be because I always had water eating out because my mom always told me sodas and sugary fruit drinks aren't good for you and that's a standard offering when you go out to eat. But wait, that's not entirely true, growing up in Jamaica the fruit juice was a big deal and a large feature at most restaurants... - the constant fruit punch, which was orange juice based and then a mix of whatever was seasonal, and then seasonal juices... apple being my favourite - to this day.


Anyhow, these juices were made at and by the restaurant people. And then along came tru juice and wakefield... and den braps... di people dem stop mek juice. When saying so... wakefield and t/j used to be not so shabby. But there is no way sugar, colouring, flavouring and a reasonable amount of fruit concentrate can beat freshly blended juice.


My resentment of wakefield and t/j was so much I had to leave what I was doing to come and blog about it.
Wait.. maybe that's more ADD tendencies than resentment that propelled me over here. Anyway, as I siddung here ah cuss out tru juice and wakefield mi realise they are not the primary reason I drink so so water. Is farrin do that. Go out to eat and all dem have to awfah yuh wid yuh meal is damn iced tea and pepsi... bad man nuh jink dat.
sen' on ah glass of water please tenks!

- note to self... get yourself under control with the damn ellipses, which are also colloquially called "dot dot dot" - really. how clever. But on a different note... I think I need to post a blog about how ellipses are the literary crack. I know I use them in places I could easily use other more appropriate forms of punctuation, but once you start using them, it's hard to believe you don't NEED them everywhere.

red belly guava
mango

No comments:

Post a Comment