Friday, February 20, 2009

The Universe is in the details

In May '08 I was waiting to begin training for a dream job as a high ropes guide from July to October. A few days after getting the good news, I made one of my very few trips into town where I ran into Tom, the Project Engineer for a building project on my campus. They were looking for a part time project administrator and had asked the school to put out the word in the business department. They'd had only two applicants, so he wanted to know just how much the word had been put out.

I hadn't heard about it, so he gave me a quick rundown and invited me to apply. I'd already got the green light for the job I really wanted, it was full time, the base pay was more, and with tips possibly double what they were offering; but since he had personally invited me to apply I thought it would be impolite not to, plus I had six weeks before my other job started and then once it did maybe I could juggle both.

A few weeks later I went to my courtesy interview, and after 5 minutes with Tom and the Project Coordinator Chris I wanted the job. I explained that I already a campus job, plus was going to be starting another soon, they agreed I could work until my other job started and then at my convenience once it did. July rolled in and I heard nothing from the High Ropes people, and they returned none of my calls/emails. I wasn't really disappointed I lost the opportunity because life rolls on, and I was happy working with Ruscilli; the camaraderie in the office was great, it was close, plus I got to wear a hard hat AND speak Spanish.

My job with them ran from June to November, and the savings from it paid travel and expenses for two trips I had to make, my school fees for this quarter now that my scholarship has ended, AND those savings are still tiding me over while I look for a new job.

I am jobless and living on dwindling savings, but as I stood in our cramped kitchen making a fruit salad and nibbling on the cuttings, I reflected on how great my life is - a chance meeting; a job I did not want or think I needed; and a few minutes invested in the good manners my mom taught me sweep together as a reminder that I am SO cradled.

And in a sweet extra, the drawing I am now working on was inspired by the brown paper I was using to ship closing documents from that office. I'm posting a new pic below.

If you think I am one of the hokey few the universe smiles on, maybe you're thinking about it too hard.

2 comments:

  1. Another uplifting post. Thank you for that.

    You have an award over at my place. When you have a chance, come over, collect it, and make a little acceptance speech.

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, nice post.. and great blog too!

    shall be coming here more often.. :)

    btw, love your About Me profile..

    ReplyDelete